Where in Abu Dhabi:
– Khalidiyah Mall, Food Court;
– Abu Dhabi Mall, Food Court;
– Al Whada Mall, 2nd floor;
– Mushrif Mall, Food Court;
– Khalifa City A, near Geant supermarket;
– Tourist Club area, beside Emsons Supermarket on Electra Street;
As far as burger chains go, Hardee’s is one of the most popular in Abu Dhabi, with shops in some of the main malls, petrol stations and central streets. (Here is the complete list of all the restaurants in the UAE).
Hardee’s was founded in the 1960s by a man called Wilbur Hardee, who started selling charbroiled hamburgers in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
His success was so rapid that by the end of the decade he had opened nearly 200 restaurants, in the US and in Europe.
The first one opened in the Middle East was in 1981, and it was in Kuwait.
Today there are more than 2200 Hardee’s all over the world.
We love a good burger and we are often looking for a quick bite in between errands, so we decided to try the Hardee’s in Al Whada mall. The food court of the mall is huge, so when you order they give you one of those boxes that starts beeping when your food is ready.
We just shared a burger combo – which means that W ate the burger and I had some of the fries and the cookie!
We were pleasantly surprised, because when it is a chain of such huge proportions you almost expect the food to disappoint you… and yet it was actually really yummy!
Everything in the meal tasted freshly prepared and the fries were the right kind of crunchy.
Staff at this branch were also very friendly, which added to our positive feeling.
We will definitely try more of these burger joints around the city!
You never forget your first meal in a new city, and it was on our very first visit to Al Whada Mall that we chose to have lunch in this restaurant, which looked very cheerful and original, and had very friendly door staff.
Little did we know that we were about to step into nothing less than a Burger Crime Office, where the menu is a Most Wanted list and the burgers have names inspired by mystery and crime fiction. With such original and detailed décor and a very relaxed and casual atmosphere, we liked it straight away.
The menu offered the chance to build our own burger, but in the end I ordered an Italian Job (grilled Portobello mushroom, mozzarella cheese, tomato relish, fresh basil and green rocket) and W ordered a BB Classic (beef, tomato, lettuce, onion, tomato relish, and herb mayonnaise).
The buns were yummy and at the right level of softness (not too much, not too little), the fillings were mouthwatering and all was complimented by a side of curly fries, which came in a fun cone-shaped container fitted with two sauce holders.
Apart from the lovely food, we had great fun in reading the menu, full of puns and word plays on the crime theme. W just loves burgers and I (Lau) am a vegetarian, so my quest for a tasty veggie burger never really ends. With so many burger chains around, we love to try local companies, especially if they use organic and natural ingredients.
With such tasty burgers and original and creative setting, we have been lucky to end up here as our first meal in Abu Dhabi, and of course that has not been the last.
Where in Abu Dhabi:
- Mushrif Mall – 2nd Level East Wing – +971 02 4914149 – opening times
- Al Whada Mall – 2nd Floor (extension) – +971 02 44 565 04 – opening times
The Great British Bake Off is back on TV (Tuesdays on BBC2) hence I imagine every British household is now going to eat cake whilst looking at people baking more cake, in a sort of delicious meta-gluttony. Or maybe it is just us.
So, where to get the supplies to fuel our baking frenzy?
In Abu Dhabi there are plenty of shops where to go, from local brands to international ones.
Lakeland is a well known and very much loved brand, back in the UK.
To me, just the fact that its founders come from the Lake District evokes memories of beautiful holidays, images of rolling green hills and the soothing sound of splashing water: just the atmosphere I need to start baking some cookies!
Since I discovered them, I learned to love the gazillion kitchen and baking gadgets that they have in stock, from micro-blinis moulds to ice cream makers, and most of all I found some of the best cleaning products I ever used: the Astonish paste is basically the Holy Grail of grease-fighting and I could not live without it.
Imagine my excitement when strolling around Al Whada mall I saw one of their stores just in front of me!
It is quite a big shop, and sells everything that is on the website. From lunch boxes to dinnerware, from baking and decoration supplies to outdoor cooking accessories, it is like a piece of home has landed at our doorstep, and I love it.
- What did we order?
– Spaghetti Prima (Caramelised onion, goat cheese, roasted cherry tomato, baby spinach, covered with provolone cheese and roasted almonds in garlic sauce).
– Spaghetti Palazzo (Chorizo, bacon, cannellini beans in spicy tomato sauce).
– Mango Salad (Fresh mango, walnut, buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, raisins, romana lettuce in a blue cheese dressing).
– Garlic Bread with cheese (4 pcs)
- How much did it cost? 108 AED
- Where did we order from?
Il Forno – inside Al Wahda Mall – Tel: 02 443 7344
- What did it look like? (click on images to enlarge)
- Why did we like it?
– Staff at the mall were very friendly and the order was ready in less than 10 min.
– Everything was really yummy. We both enjoyed it very much. The mango and blue cheese combination in the salad was a bit quirky but that was expected!
– The fact that they packed the food not only with disposable cutlery and napkins but also with a lot of tiny containers with grated cheese, chilli flakes and salad dressing was really nice. They also added extra bread in one of the spaghetti.